Thursday 28 June 2012

Oak table - aftercare

Even I covered my oak table and benches for winter,



come spring, and when I opened it, I found it all covered in mould:



Well, this is Britain, everything gets mouldy if left outside. Looks horrible, but fortunately with oak garden furniture it's easy to fix. You'll need a sander and same tung oil used for oiling in the first place.

I cleaned it with a pressure washer (removed ~50% of blackness) and then sanded. Looked much better after that:




Then after adding a layer of tung oil, looks like new:


Make sure you remove excess oil with cloth (lint free cloth is recommended to use, have no idea why) - you don't want it to be sticky.

this is it. I plan to sand and oil one more time this autumn and leave it uncovered for winter. It seems cover was not very helpful mould-wise.

3 comments:

  1. So, i was looking for the result of an oak table treated with tung oil. is it possible to send a picture of how the table looks now? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mail address is felgamous [ @ ] gmail [ . ] com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Farid. I must say I am not impressed with tung oil. Maybe British weather to blame, but the table was getting black like that every year. I since switched to OSMO product that include protection against mildew, blue stain etc.

    ReplyDelete